Old July 13th 05, 02:30 AM
TeGGeR®

"Mark Lewis" > wrote in
:

> My 1994 Accord Wagon, 172k miles, failed emissions for NOX. I am told
> that my combustions chambers is running "hot" but the Catalytic
> converter may still be ok. One suggestion is to add some alchol before
> trying the test again and also to make sure the engine is a cool as
> possible.

You may fail on high HCs. Don't put crap in your gas to mask an unrelated
problem. Find the real problem first.

Prep the car with long, hard run on the highway immediately beforehand to
make certain the cat is up to temp.

> Someone else<g> has told me to get some magic additive that
> is sold in auto parts stores to fix my problem...another genius
> suggests a run of Gum out.

Chevron Techron injector cleaner isn't a bad idea, but not right now.

> I am willing to spring for a new catalytic converter if it fails a
> retest and if that will certainly fix my problem. Can anyone explain
> what my problem is, in layman's terms, and the validity of some of the
> helpful suggestions from my buddies?

DO NOT replace that cat. It is the LEAST likely culprit.

Your problems range from defective EGR to overly advanced timing to a lean-
biased O2 sensor to gummed-up injectors to daily variance in the emissions
testing equipment (up to 400% variance per day).

http://tinyurl.com/axsuo

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/oct2004/techtips.cfm

--
TeGGeR®