Old March 4th 05, 03:44 AM

CobraJet wrote:

> > The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much
> > as CJ hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past
> > attitude, automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started
> > thinking about what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time
> > tonight to post, so I'm only throwing out a few ideas.
> > But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second
> > muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that
> > said, let's find similiarities.

> > Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:

> > Station wagons
> > Sleepers
> > Large displacement
> > Normally aspirated
> > Strippers
> > Tweaked, but factory appearing
> > Straight-line cars

> > CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your
> > head. Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet
> > without wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)

> > Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do
> > you think we agree on?

> Did you see the news story John URL'd comparing mechanics to
> technicians?

No, I missed that.

> This is the essential difference between you and me. I'm gearhead,
> you belong to the plug-and-play group. The attitude *you* call "stuck
> in the past", is referred to as "nostalgia" by the vast majority of
> car-minded 40+ year-olds.

The vast majority visit nostalgia, they don't live there.

> The fact that you name C&D as your fave shows me you would never
> consider an all-out buildup of anything yourself.

I've noticed you stereotype a lot. You shouldn't do that. Case in
point, my neighbor's 19 year-old kid. He owns a slightly lowered
Integra. A first glance you'd call him a ricer. But when you go check
out his ride you'll find he pulled the motor, replaced it, installed a
new clutch, and then hooked up a custom turbo system, and he did it
himself. Results? He now hangs with lightly modded Terminator Cobras.
Okay, then you'd think he likes nothing but Asian cars. Wrong again.
His buddy owns an '04 Cobra, and a Saturday afternoon about two weeks
ago they replaced his factory blower with a ported one, in his
driveway. Not too shabby for a generation you *often* stereotype. As
for myself, after I get my two kids through college my plan is to build
a T-bucket roadster.

> So it really goes back to the apples and oranges thing. You are
> trying to find a common ground to ease things a bit; I say it really
> doesn't matter. Why?

Apparently I don't take things as serious as you. I can be throwing
punches like crazy but when the bell rings that's it. Fight's over. I
can give the opponent a nod, a little hug, and a "good fight", and then
I press. You *seem* to hold a grudge.

> Because I *own* several of every vehicle you have in that list above,
> and you own a '93 Cobra. I get greasy; you pay lip service. Apples
> and oranges.

Lately you seem to be really zeroing in on my Cobra. Downing it every
chance you get. What... hoping I'll sell it? Sorry, no dice, pal.

> Next week, if it doesn't rain anymore, I'll post pics of my
> Ranger's engine to show you what I enjoy farting around with.

That's cool. But what I'd rather see are pics of the 20+ classics you
have. And why spend time on the pickup when you could be playing with
the motors in the cars??? C'mon, get us some time slips, Mr. Gearhead!

Patrick
'93 Cobra