Old February 1st 05, 02:53 PM
sdlomi2

"Rod Speed" > wrote in message

> >> oups.com...

> >> Regardless of the origins, I bet that today there is a real sense
> >> in which the guides drive the market and the pros particularly just
> >> have their own variation on the guide price where they dont agree.
> >>

> > I'm inclined to agree with you. However, one problem has recently
> > arisen: REAL EXAMPLE: Black Book, and maybe NADA--dunno for sure--shows
> > clean wholesale on Honda Odyssey's like several (meaning 2 or more?)
> > thousand dollars higher than they are bringing in the real market.

Makes it
> > hard to sell them at whls. markets, 'cause so many dealers have relied

on BB
> > when trading for them. Then, when he gets it to market and it brings

way
> > less than he put in it to trade for it, he can't sell it--or does so at

far
> > less than he'd planned. And unless he made a screaming deal up front,

hiis
> > 2-car washout will result in a loss. So, even tho' guides may taint

prices
> > somewhat, like in this particular case, it causes losses when it can't

MAKE
> > the would-be buyers step up & pay the higher book reflection of worth.

> Yeah, bound to be some obvious problems like that.
>
> > So, either your idea, with which I agree somewhat, has to really kick
> > in, or else BB has gotta get off their "extrapolating **rses" & get the

real
> > values in place. s

> Or just realise that some book values have problems.
> Bet the best of them have realised that for decades now.

Quite true. Not merely trying to get included in your category (but
that too!!!), I used to jokingly tell my buddies when they'd see me looking
at a book & tell me 'You'd better throw that thing away--it'll get you in
trouble': my reply was a standard, "At least when I find this value, I will
know one figure NOT to pay for it"!.
Have a good 'un. s