Old February 1st 05, 06:14 AM
sdlomi2

"Rod Speed" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > with there being so many models, brands and vintages out there
> > today, i wonder how much work it must be to collect a useful
> > sample?! there must be some extrapolation involved somewhere...

> Regardless of the origins, I bet that today there is a real sense
> in which the guides drive the market and the pros particularly just
> have their own variation on the guide price where they dont agree.

I'm inclined to agree with you. However, one problem has recently
arisen: REAL EXAMPLE: Black Book, and maybe NADA--dunno for sure--shows
clean wholesale on Honda Odyssey's like several (meaning 2 or more?)
thousand dollars higher than they are bringing in the real market. Makes it
hard to sell them at whls. markets, 'cause so many dealers have relied on BB
when trading for them. Then, when he gets it to market and it brings way
less than he put in it to trade for it, he can't sell it--or does so at far
less than he'd planned. And unless he made a screaming deal up front, hiis
2-car washout will result in a loss. So, even tho' guides may taint prices
somewhat, like in this particular case, it causes losses when it can't MAKE
the would-be buyers step up & pay the higher book reflection of worth.
So, either your idea, with which I agree somewhat, has to really kick
in, or else BB has gotta get off their "extrapolating **rses" & get the real
values in place. s