Old July 22nd 05, 07:13 AM
Big Al

"Elwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
m...
> Hi, am wondering about the feasibility of swapping the Muncie out for one
> of
> the side loaders from an early eighties Chevy truck. I think GM calls it
> the
> NP260 (MY6) which I guess is like the old New Process A833, which is
> really
> a 3 speed with Overdrive. The ratios are :3.090 1.670 1.000 0.730 It's
> basically a stock engine, so with 180 HP am not too concerned about
> tearing
> it up. The looks and runs great, but the truth be told, my wife and
> daughter
> are the only ones that drive it. If it got better mileage and it was an
> easy swap, I might go visit the wrecker. So if you can clue me in on
> splines, yolks, tail shafts and shifter placement,ect, I'd be much
> obliged,
> thx

There is one other transmission to consider. The T-50. Used in the Monza
type cars by Chevy, Olds, Buick and Pontiac. I think they came out in 75 or
76. Also used in the Chevelle and Olds F-85 and some Vega's. They may have
been in some Vettes?? It has a different shift pattern from the newer 5
speeds, First is over and down. Fifth is under fourth. It's a small
lightweight unit with a similar OD to the Chrysler and Ford built 4 speeds.
For what it's worth, lived with two of the Chrysler built 4 speeds. One in a
77 Volare, one in a 82 GMC pickup. Both failed with the same problem. OD
gear starts whining. When you pull it apart fourth gear, the cluster and on
the Volare the input shaft and output shaft were shot. Very expensive parts.

Another option would be a Camaro or Mustang T-5. Especially if it was behind
a V8. Jeep and others use the same transmission.

Al