Old September 5th 04, 06:27 PM
Ray

Bob Paulin wrote:
> wrote in article
> >. ..
>
>>then why not make all cars in production rear-engined, rear-wheeled
>>cars? I hate RWD. It's slightly less stable and less easy to control
>>to me.
>>

> Let's see.
>
> In a FWD, you've got.....
>
> 100 percent of your acceleration inputs.....
>
> 100 percent of your deceleration inputs....
>
> 100 percent of your steering inputs, and....
>
> 90 percent of your braking inputs on two tire patches.....
>
> ...and you're saying that RWD is *less* stable?!?!

Bob, I can think of one racing arena where FWD might actually be better.
Land Speed Racing.

(btw, FWD sucks. I own a Trans Am, race a dirt Track Camaro and drive
my truck in 2wd in 99% of the winter time, which is 6 months of snow
around here.)

Most of the weight over the drive wheels = good for LSR.
Most of the weight over the steering wheels = good for LSR.
Moving the CG in front of the CP = good for LSR.
Would also allow for a teardrop shape - the shape of the car could be
teardrop/tapered and the rear tires on "outriggers" for stability.

btw, one day I do plan on going to Bonneville to compete - and my "idea"
is different enough that I'll either kick butt or crash... it'll
probably be my first FWD car...

Ray