Old December 19th 04, 02:31 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/18/2004 5:30 PM Charles Fregeau wrote:

> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> et> wrote in message

>>> The starter solenoid draws ~30 Amps at initial pull-in.
>>> That's one reason that VW never put a fuse in there.
>>> If you feel you *must* have OC protection, consider using a
>>> big automotive-style circuit breaker.

>>30A? Well, that goes a long way toward explaining why the fuse popped!
>>Thanks, Jim! Where'd you find the spec?
>>
>>--
>>Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
>>71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
>>84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
>>KG6RCR

> If you want over-current protection, you might see if you can get one of
> those newfangled fusible links in the 30-50 amp range. Probably survive
> better than a straight fuse. The fusible link off my battery is 12 years
> old.

Thanx, Chas. I don't feel any need for overcurrent protection in that
line. The fuseholder came with the relay and I just sort of installed
it. It's clearly not necessary. I'll stick a "penny" in the fuseholder
or chop it out altogether the next time I'm under the Wonderbus.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Today's Deep Thought:

There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain