Old July 22nd 04, 06:41 AM
Jacob Suter

N8Dogg wrote:
> Thanks for the input, but I took the new one back to Murray's and they
> tested it, and it tested good. My old one even tested good on their machine
> so I got my money back and reinstalled it. That's when I took it into a
> shop and they said my starter and the alternator. So I went to Pep Boys and
> got another new one and still doing the same thing. That means it's
> probably not the alternator.

I'm not sure on your '97, but on my '99 1500/5.2 the alternator's field
current (alternators use an electromagnet to generate the magnetic field
the device needs to generate the current requirements to maintain the
desired charging voltage) is controlled by the computer. The wiring
between, or the computer itself may have failed.

Also I believe there is a "alt. field current" (or something similar)
fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Check to see if its blown - but I
may have this confused with my Exploder.

Also I believe there is a temperature sensor under the battery tray on
my '99. I believe that tells the computer the proper voltage to charge
the battery at (lead acid battery charge voltages vary from like 13.7v
to 14.9v depending on the electrolite temperature) and I have no idea
what the failure mode if this sensor fails.

Try doing the on-off-on-off-on-off-on (is that right?) to see if there
are any stored codes - I think there are some alternated-related codes
that will not throw the CEL.

Good luck,
JS