Old July 13th 05, 03:10 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had my mechanic check the compression on a 1997 Civic LX, he said
> it's fine. when I picked up the car, I got the printed results: all 4
> cylinders 160 psi (give or take 1 psi). The mechanic wasn't there, and
> the cashier didn't know the spec values. From the message the mechanic
> left on my voicemail I understand it''s OK, but I was just wondering
> what those values should be for a good 1997 Civic LX Engine (i.e. when
> it was new, and for a well taken care of engine).
>
> Thanks

why do you care? a lot of manufacturers don't even specify a
compression reading because it's too hard to get consistent numbers.
all the compression test is good for is measuring /relative/ differences
between cylinders as per a head gasket or burnt valve problem.

bottom line, you're lucky you have an honest mechanic. unscrupulous
ones would take your desire for such a test as an opportunity to
diagnose an "imminent problem" and relieve you of several thousand
dollars for a rebuild.