Old July 23rd 05, 12:19 AM
blah blah

In article >, lid
says...
> Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
> spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
> was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
> is necessary?
>
> I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
> rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
> but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
> transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
> but what do I know!

That is a symptom. If you are talking about an S-series? the upper
torsion mount can be checked by using your index finger as a gage. The
bracket is like an upside down U. If you can stick your finger through
the upper center part of the U then the mount should be good. If its
completely collapsed you cant stick you finger in there. Another method
(for all makes and models) is to have someone put the car in gear, hold
the brake, and you visually watch the engine as its given a little gas
and let off. You would then monitor how much movement the engine makes.

A tune up could solve a rough idle as well if thats what it needs.