Old December 11th 04, 01:20 AM
Jan Andersson

Red Bug wrote:

> In article >,
> "ilambert" > wrote:
>
> > never on the pressure side in this case (F.I.!!!) Much higher pressure
> > involved.

> Mine is regular stock mechanical with stnd. carb. setup (1961) so hardly
> any pressure involved.

It's not just pressure you have to worry about. You also need to think
of the added WEIGHT of a gasoline filled container suspended in and by
the gas line. The filter will move around and it will repeatedly send
"shocks" to the hose fittings as you drive, and the carb top fitting is
known to be a weak spot. It will pull out of the aluminum and you will
then have gasoline spraying all over the engine compartment. It's the
number 1 reason for engine fires in an aircooled VW.

There's plenty of pressure in the line too btw. I have heard of
incidents where a plastic filter housing has cracked from a seam under
pressure. Possibly a faulty filter, but still? There's no risk of that
on the suction side.
Just avoid the unnecessary risks and keep the filter on the suction side
of the pump. It's so easy that there's no real reason NOT to move the
filter there the next time you replace your fuel lines. Which you should
do every 5 years or wo on average. Depends on your climate and quality
of gasoline. (I've personally experienced a nasty leak due to a 2 year
old braided fuel hose cracking... it just got so brittle you couldn't
bend it without cracking it..)

Jan