Old November 19th 04, 03:37 PM
Howard Nelson

Default 55 oval carb question

I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two
problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating
there is a "flat" spot in the power output at what I would estimate is about
1/3 max rpm. Pulls strong off the line and no problem in 1st. then sort
of slumps in mid range rpms in 2,3, and 4th. Once in mid range RPM and
higher no problem. Perhaps connected to this is when the car sits for more
than 2-3 days I have to crank it for about 20-30 secs to start. I suspect
that the carb is drained of gas and I need to pull gas from the tank to the
carb in order to start it hence the long start time. If it has been just one
or two days it starts right up. Battery and starter seem strong. No smell of
gas leaking anywhere. Any troubleshooting advice would be helpful. Where
should I start? Carb is whatever originally came on this car (30hp 1200).
Thanks in Advance
Howard

---