Old June 10th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Advice on problems found with my car...

"TomP" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
>
>> > 3) rear trailer arm bushings broken

>> This can likely be postponed. The car will not handle
>> optimally, but these bushings on my 91 Civic have been
>> broken for years. I'm just getting around to replacing
>> them.

> If there is no abnormal tire wear on the rear tires, I
> wouldn't
> waste the money.

Yesterday I was working on the rear, driver's side, lower
control arm. When re-installing it, the play for putting in
the control arm's outboard most bolt was very high. This
contrasted with the passenger side, on which I also recently
worked.

I wiggled around the brake drum/hub assembly and
simultaneously watched the trailing arm bushing. One of the
bushings two legs apparently has completely sheared.

That rubber in the bushing isn't really going anywhere, so
at the moment I wouldn't say it's a serious safety issue. It
may pose a risk to property, though, if, on a turn, part of
the rear of the car swings one way while the other does not.
OTOH, from a handling standpoint, I think I'll find the new
TA bushings worth it. But that's just me. I'm sort of in
this for the learning experience, too. I have the time.

I have the new trailing arm bushings in my possession as of
yesterday. I am calling around to see what different shops
want to put them in. If any of them already have the special
tool (http://www.shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopexd.asp?id=2784)
already, it might very well be cheaper to have the shop do
it. Or I'll grill Napa's shop press service about whether
they'll install my TA bushings to spec (that is, correct
clock and depth orientation).