Old February 1st 05, 08:09 PM
The Malt Hound

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Those rims are fine. Offset isn't your problem. If offset was the
> problem, the problem would be that the tires rub somewhere,
> typically the front tires will rub on the undercarriage in a
> full-lock turn, or the rear tires will rub on the shock mounts.
>
> My humble opinion is that the tires themselves are merely following
> grooves cut in the roadway to channel water away.
>
> I am running 7.5x17 rims on my car, and the tires track fine, except
> on a few particular places on the freeway, where the tires want to
> follow the grooves. In these places, the grooves are more pronounced
> for some reason.

Yabbut... Do you remember what the car drove like before you upgraded
to the 17"ers Jeff?

On my '95 I can feel a large difference in tramlining between the OE
205/60x15" and 225/50x16". And those are OE BMW rims from an E36/7.
My suspension is perfect, having recently replaced everything (struts,
control arms, tie rods). The suspension geometry was just not
designed for such wide tires without a certain amount of tramlining.

--
-Fred W