Old July 18th 05, 05:24 AM
Pars

> At least one of your questions is answered here . .
>
> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
>
> I'm not sure if I agree with everything said, but it's starting to make
> sense to me. . .

Perhaps it might work for a sport bike, but I wouldn't try the same break-in
technique on my brand new car. I've broken in 5 new engines and put over
100,000km on each of them (or more) and in every case, the engines were the
best part of the cars, when it was time to retire them. So, i'm keeping with
the same technique which has worked for me.

Under 1000km or so.
1. Avoid long drives, short city trips is preferable with frequent cool
downs.
2. Keep the accelerator and RPM under 70% and try to babe the engine.

After 1000km.
1. Time to investigate the higher rpms... in increments...
2. Don't hesitate to redline the car (especially if it's a high revving
engine) but try to avoid full throttle redline and don't let it linger
there.

After 2000km or so
1. Anything goes.
2. Try to get about 10 minutes or regular driving before going hard on the
engine
3. If your driving habit is very aggressive (like mine) and getting the
maximum of performance out of the engine is a priority (assuming you plan
on having the engine for more then 5 years), then use the good oil.

Pars