Old April 25th 05, 11:41 AM
The Etobian

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:42:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" >
wrote:

>> My driving instructor told me to stop far enough behind the
>> vehicle in front be able to get around it without backing up,

>That is a completely silly approach and if everyone did
>that, it would **** up traffic flow quite spectacularly.

If you don't do that in Rhode Island, then you will have to wait
another light cycle because the driver in front of you just put on his
left turn signal right after the light turned green and right after he
started turning his wheels to the left, while everyone behind you is
now passing on the right.

Since there is no marking on the road except for the center line, and
since the road is wide enough, I always stay back and slightly to the
right of the driver ahead of me so I can get past him if he's turning
left.