Old July 14th 04, 09:38 PM
Esko Kauppinen

Colonel Tupperware wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:44:11 GMT, "Steve Knight"
> > wrote:
>

>>>Alfa are paying 75% of parts & labour, so I'll only be
>>>paying the cost of a normal service and cambelt change.
>>>I'm happy with that (and very relieved).

>>Very fair, good on Alfa for doing the right thing.

> Good on them.
> What a shame that they make an engine that eats belts in the first
> place.

You can say that again. I bought a new Alfa a while ago and chose
the 2.5 liter V6 engine after visiting AlfaRomeo.com site and reading
this from the 156 Engines site:

"2.5 V6 24V 2492 cm3
KW 138-141 (188-192 BHP-EEC)
Maximum power output at 6300 rpm
Peak torque at 5000 rpm ...
... The platinum spark plugs, hydraulic tappets, and automatic belt
tighteners minimize the need for maintenance (first service after
100,000 Km). It is available on the Alfa 166, 156 and Sportwagon."

This gave me the (wrong) impression that this engine is free of cambelt
troubles for the first 100.000 km's.

Esko