Old October 26th 04, 12:57 AM
James C. Reeves

"daagar" > wrote in message
om...
|I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
| sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG. Unfortunately, I
| have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
| (city/highway/etc).
|
| Being a new vehicle, I don't expect it to be a problem with spark
| plugs, O2 sensors, tire inflation, etc. Is there anything else that
| can be checked? I fear a trip to the dealer would turn up empty since
| 22mpg is "close" to 25... however, a previous car with the same rating
| easily did 28-30 on average with the same useage and I'd like to
| regain something close to that.
|
| Could this really be something as simple as 'heavy-footing' it? Or is
| there are potential underlying problem? This car is a bit more
| powerful than the last (a 2001 Saturn), so I suppose that could be it
| (my wife is quite the lead-foot from a stop..)
|
| Thanks.

The wife averaged 29-30MPG (mixed driving) and mid 30's (highway) on a 1997
Neon DOHC "Sport" she used to own.

Today we both average 25-26MPG (mixed) and about 30ish (highway)...her driving
a 2003 Stratus 2.7 V6 and me driving a 2004 Sebring 2.7 V6. I would certainly
think that a Neon that is 600 pounds lighter than a Stratus/Sebring and with a
smaller engine should do better than a V6 Stratus or Sebring.

Here is another kicker. Our 1997 3.3 V6 Grand Caravan averages 19-21
mixed...25-28 highway.

So, there is a problem with your Neon or your wife is driving it very hard.
I'd take the car back to the dealer to check it out.