Old August 15th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default Calling Glenn Beasley

"tomkanpa" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Glenn, I had my Cruiser serviced. The reason for the bad mpg was that
> the calibers were hanging up. It was like I was driving with the front
> brakes on all the time.
> The garage did call up TSBs on the 2001 PT for poor mpg. One was TSB
> 18-12-00 dated August 11, 2000. It pertained to poor acceleration with
> A/C on and spark knock at high altitudes.
> It also stated:
> Fuel Economy - Owners may gain 1 to 1 1/2 miles of fuel economy during
> highway operation.
> I get the impression that this pertains to vehicles equiped with cruise
> control. Am I correct?
> I do not have cruise control.
> Funny, you'd think that a vehicle with the name of CRUISER would
> certainly NOT HAVE cruise control as option.
>
> Thanks for your advice, Glenn.

The TSB you are referring to is based solely on high altitude driving and
going up a hill and also( enhances) the cruise control settings if so
equipped. Depending on the build date of the vehicle this TSB may not apply.
It is a reflash of the PCM. I would think if something was to help the
economy it would be repairing a brake problem if there is one. Normally if
there is a problem with both calipers something caused it or is causing it
(such as fluid contamination) and not just a failed caliper.
The other thing is there should have been more symptoms of a caliper problem
such as smoking brakes, warped rotors with a pedal pulsation or pulling
problem. I would really be surprised if you notice any difference when you
check your mileage again.
My opinion only...........Keep me posted.

Glenn