Old August 15th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

Default Calling Glenn Beasley

On 15 Aug 2006 10:00:18 -0700, "tomkanpa" > wrote:

>Glenn, I had my Cruiser serviced. The reason for the bad mpg was that
>the calibers were hanging up. <snip>

I remember this happenening a lot in the '80s on K- and M-cars with
those awful ABS plastic body calipers. Were they plastic? The
plastic bore would get ridges in it and make the piston "ratchet" into
the rotor, with predictable results.

Although the idea of using ABS plastic for a caliper housing neatly
reduced unsprung weight on the front wheels, which should have
marginally improved ride and handling, it obviously didn't work too
well in practice! A big thumbs down in "Chrysler Quality" on that
boner.