Old August 10th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default AC Blower motor failure

admin wrote:
> Frost wrote:
> > I have an E39 528iT. It is an American market car with the dual zone
> > HVAC controls. When I start it with the A/C on (hot humid climate) the
> > blower will run porperly for about 2-3 minutes, and then suddenly stop
> > for 2-3 minutes. It will continue this cycle ad infinitum. The A/C coil
> > is still cold, you can drive the car with the back windows cracked down
> > at speed, and the vent system will draw in chilled air from the outside
> > through the chiller coil. The problem is totally independent of any
> > setting in the HVAC control head. Anybody got an idea?

> So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
> the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
> behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.

Or the problem could be that notoriously bad capacitor (rated 47 micro
Farad)
on the circuit board. There used to be a great site that some guy put
up that gave clear instructions with pictures on where it was,
how to get to it, and how to replace it.

I went to Radio Shack, bought the $2 capacitor, some electronics-
grade solder, and did the job myself. No problems at all since!
Who knows what a dealership or shop would've charged to fix
the simple and cheap problem; I'd guess many hundreds of $,
based on experience.

I just found the link and it's dead. Too bad. There are prob.
others,
as this is such a common problem. The guys should do a little
searching.

-----
Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1,
Israel's favor.
Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1.
---------
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html
"Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We,
the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff