Old August 8th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

Default AC Blower motor failure

Frost wrote:
> I have an E39 528iT. It is an American market car with the dual zone
> HVAC controls. When I start it with the A/C on (hot humid climate) the
> blower will run porperly for about 2-3 minutes, and then suddenly stop
> for 2-3 minutes. It will continue this cycle ad infinitum. The A/C coil
> is still cold, you can drive the car with the back windows cracked down
> at speed, and the vent system will draw in chilled air from the outside
> through the chiller coil. The problem is totally independent of any
> setting in the HVAC control head. Anybody got an idea?

So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.

Very common problem... the new one has been "improved" and hopefully
won't fail as often.