Old March 4th 05, 07:10 PM
Jeff Strickland

There is trouble with the emissions system. The only way to know for sure
what the car is telling you is to plug in a diagnostic tool that can read
the codes. My guess is, you need a new O2 sensor, but chasing a guess can be
very costly. Find an independant BMW service center, and have them read the
codes.

There are tools on the 'net (eBay) that you can buy to read the codes. You
don't sound like the kind of person that would use a diagnostic tool very
often, and paying the shop to pull codes and put in parts is where you are
headed. As a rule of thumb, the O@ sensor should run in the neighborhood of
about $50 bucks. You can find them cheaper, but you have to install it
yourself. Paying a mechanic $50 is a reasonable charge. Most mechanics will
pull the codes for free if they get the repair business. If they do not get
the business, then they will charge about $50 for the effort.

oups.com...