Old May 26th 05, 03:59 PM
Matt Ion

AES wrote:
> Just noticed that when the right-hand door of our Element is locked,
> pulling out on the door-opening latch doesn't pop the lock button up and
> allow you to open the door; you have to reach awkwardly behind your
> right shoulder and lift the lock button up (even when car is in Park,
> but ignition key is on).
>
> Seems to me in other cars we've owned pulling the latch does unlock any
> door, and it should work this way for safety reasons: there could be
> times when you want to get out in a hurry, including maybe in a
> stressful situation, or for an elderly or handicapped individual who
> can't reach back that far.
>
> Or is this a child-safety type provision? Or maybe a user-settable
> option?

None of my older Hondas have ever done this. Our Plymouth Voyager
minivan does this only on the front doors.

Really, a lock that behaves that way defeats half the purpose of the
doorlock, which is preventing accidental opening of the door while on
the road.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-2, 05/25/2005
Tested on: 5/26/2005 7:59:06 AM