Old March 13th 05, 02:01 PM
Catman

Zathras wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:45:55 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>>Zathras wrote:

> <snip>
>>> I know what you're saying but my experience is that you rarely get the
>>> chance in real life to apply *that* experience in an effective way.

>>With respect, the writers of the article tend to dis-agree.

> I've not seen the article so can't comment on it. However, it's in a
> news paper and, at least, subject to the editings of some old hack.
> This alone is enough to flash up *beware nonsense alert* warning signs
> for me.

And I, in many cases. Can't discount *just* cos of that though.
> Anyway, it's fine to disagree with me - if nobody
> did..er..well it just doesn't bear thinking about!!!

> <snip>
>
>>1) I've learnt that my anticipation of where and when ice forms needs
>>work, and will be monitored

> That's a rather refreshing approach - I think most folks would rather
> blame somebody/something else and not even question their own
> involvement! In my experience an external temp gauge is *very* useful
>> 3C = fine < 3C = beware!

Used to have one. On the day in question I was pretty sure it was sub-zero,
but the roads were dry.....

>> Never been caught out in many years driving

> with them. They work very well at advising of dropping or rising temps
> as you're driving - something that's quite difficult to monitor if you
> don't drive with your window open in winter!!

Ho yuss

>>2) Had I had more experience I *may* have been able to react quicker, and
>>more appropriately, perhaps reducing the the severity of the ultimate
>>impact.

> I can only agree - you're the one who best knows that situation.
>
>>Either way, I can't see it can do any harm. I'm not gonna think I'm Colin
>>McRae all of a sudden

> I take you back to my earlier comment - it's also great fun so
> entertain yourself.

Yeah, Last decent snow we had I was out in the car park practising
handbrake turns

> As for the duff comparison to Colin "Cra****" McRae - I'm sure you
> could do *much* better.... :-) If you'd been driving like him you'd
> have wrapped the Alfa round a tree and sent the whole lot down a
> ravine upside down into a lake for good measure!!!!

Yes. Perhaps I should have used one of the Finns for comparison instead

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (Badly bent) 155 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk