Old January 27th 05, 05:41 AM
Dan

"Wound Up" > wrote in message
>>>Dan wrote:

<snip>

>> Volo is just a short ride from my house. I could live there. I don't have
>> a Mustang anymore but I've had the Jones pretty bad lately. I can't
>> decide if I want a late 60's Mach I or wait for the '06 Cobra.

> That would be an easy decision for me, at least...
>
> Every now and then I
>> think about a late '80's - early 90's 5.0 project car. They all have
>> their plusses and minuses. The '06 SVT Cobra has the advantage of being
>> the perfect car since it hasn't been built yet.

> Hmm... I know what you mean, but I would prefer to wait a year or two and
> see what happens with any new model. Of course, there are things like the
> R models (like the 95 351R), but even if I were going to drop that on a
> new Cobra I'd want to see some independent review.

I remember standing at the dealer with my wife looking at the 351R and she's
saying let's buy it. We had just sold the '88 and we both missed it. I don't
know WTF, I was thinking that day. Actually, I was thinking it was too much
money for what you were getting. It looks like a great deal today.

> The vintage 'stangs to me are
>> the best looking, prolly cause of my age. But they can't hold a candle to
>> the new cars performance wise.

> Again, we differ in opinion here. Performance to me doesn't -just- mean
> road test numbers. And I'm quite sure an R-code, 4-speed Mach would run
> that Cobra in the 1/4 quite handily. My carbureted, pushrod small block
> can edge stock pre-05 GTs. And it wasn't $25,000 with the taxes and the
> insurance and all that. Much more fun IMO. With the five-speed, I dared
> 130 once, but it got floaty so I shut it down. Then I did it in the other
> direction to verify New Mustangs are very watered down in terms of
> visceral experience. I like the wail of 4 barrels on WOT. I like the
> ability to fling the ass end out in a cloud of tire smoke when I want to.
> I don't like tires at $250 each. I like the feel, the smell, the sound,
> the stance and the presence of my '67. I like to tune it, improve it, and
> to know it stem-to-stern from having worked on it... it's just my
> preference, I'm not saying there's a right and wrong. There's a lot to be
> said for simplicity IMO.

No doubt. And there's no substitute for a big block. But, the old cars don't
handle like a new one. But the new ones don't bring back any memories. Every
time I see a '67 Fastback, I think about a buddy of mine that got killed on
a bike. We spent a fair amount of time wrenching on that '67 in his
driveway, and he loved that car. I came really close to buying a 69 R code
at Volo. It wasn't all original, had some performance mods, numbers didn't
match, and had a few small cosmetic issues, so in other words, I could
afford it. I thought about it for a couple of days and it was gone. That's
the other advantage of new I suppose, you can get what you want.

> The Fox body 5.0's are kinda ugly, but I know
>> the car inside out, and I regret selling my '88 5.0 LX notchback. I paid
>> $11,700.00 for it and with a few cheapo mods, it was a lot of bang for
>> the buck. Decisions, decisions. I'm going to wait until I see the SVT. I
>> figure word will be out by mid summer.

> 79-93 Foxes... I like 'em, but not enough to lust for one. I went to
> Bondurant in 91 and wrung the snot out of them for four days, so I do have
> an appreciation. And yeah, they were definitely a lot of bang for the
> buck. I wish there were cars priced and equipped like that now.
> Unfortunately auto prices have outpaced inflation for far too long now.
> It's a damned shame. Everything got overbundled and complicated. The
> 5.0LX was one of the last "basic car with the good engine" models you
> could get, anywhere. And they do have potential.

I agree. Who ever would have thought that a $25,000.00 car would be
considered "bang for the buck". Plus all of this extra stuff adds weight.

>> So you play baseball or watch?

> Just watch. Cards fan. Aching to forget last season. Played as a kid,
> but beer-league softball is all now.

I'm originally from out east. I'm a Yankee fan and the wife is a Red Sox
fan. You don't know nothing about aching to forget last season. Payback is a
bitch.

Dan