Old August 30th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default A-904 TC fill quandry

DeserTBoB wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:42:36 -0700, "John Kunkel" >
> wrote:
>

>>There are kits made by TransGo and Sonnax that allow the converter to refill
>>in Park but the cheapest fix is to get in the habit of making the initial
>>startup in Neutral instead of Park. <snip>

> Actually, the layout having no drive from the converter's turbine in
> park is a good, well thought out engineering idea, so I'll keep it.

You don't understand what John's talking about. The change that the
TransGo kit makes to the valve body that allows the TC to fill in park
has nothing to do with "drive from the turbine." It has to do with
whether or not fluid from the pump (which is NOT driven by the turbine)
gets dumped straight back to the pan (factory configuration in "park")
or gets circulated through the transmission cooling system as it does in
neutral. The idea of *not* circulating the fluid when in park is the
only stupid thing the factory did with the Torqueflite transmissions. It
has no advantage, and several disadvantages (slow or no filling of the
TC in park, no heat rejection in park, less lubrication of the
disengaged clutch packs in park, etc.).