Old August 29th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

Default A-904 TC fill quandry

"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> On a A-904, like the 727, the torque converter doesn't fill in park,
> only in neutral, which is a really good safety feature, if you stop
> and think about it. I notice after sitting a couple of days, if the
> car is started in park and moved directly to either rev. or for.,
> there's an initial "bump," not too hard, but firm. When it is first
> shifted to neutral to fill the converter, initial engagement is
> smooth. Once the car's been warmed up and driven, further engagements
> are perfect. To proove that this may be part of the bumpy engagement
> when cold, I put the cooler supply line into a pan and listened as it
> was filled....sounds like a small amount of air is burping out of the
> converter when first shifted from park to neutral.
>
> Is this common, or is there a leaky converter check valve in play
> here? Any "easy" fix for same, or just the nature of the Torqueflite?

The condition is perfectly normal and is often called "morning sickness".
There is no converter check valve so converter leakdown will occur when the
car isn't running.

There are kits made by TransGo and Sonnax that allow the converter to refill
in Park but the cheapest fix is to get in the habit of making the initial
startup in Neutral instead of Park.