Old October 22nd 04, 12:04 PM
Peter

"Ervin Charles" > wrote in message
> Hey Group,
> I'm about to completely replace the floor pans on my 76 SB Vert and

would
> like some pointers from some of you who have done this.

First, remove the body from the chassis. This will save you a lot of pain.
As Mario says, do not remove the rear cross panels on the chassis which
extend from the rear of the tunnel to the outer rear corners of the floor
pans. This is a major assist to relocating the pans. However, if yours are
somehow badly corroded, you may have to do otherwise. Anyway, with all
parts of the floor pan removed, position the new pan so that the rear-most
outer hole locates over the outer hole in the rear cross panel. The rest of
the floor pan should then just fall (or shove) into place. If you want to
be sure you are getting everything right then, before removing the old pans
measure the position of a few bolt holes. Always measure from two separate
points, low on the tunnel, to one hole (triangulation). Try to use the best
quality pans you can (73-79). Genuine VW pans are still available for your
model, I believe, though at a good price.