Old July 10th 05, 07:57 PM
y_p_w

TeGGeR® wrote:

> wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>>A friend has a minor leak around his 1991 Civic valve cover.
>>He replaced it with a new Honda OEM about a year ago and it
>>recently started leaking again. I vaguely remember mention
>>of an aproved sealer that could be sued that would mess up
>>the O2 sensor. I tried going back and searching with no luck.
>>
>>He has a new OEM valve cover gasket and would like help changing
>>it Monday evening. Any suggestions as to what type sealer is
>>good?

> Any sensor-safe RTV is OK. Permatex is good. You're supposed to use
> Hondabond, the closest aftermarket equivalent of which is Permatex
> UltraGrey. I just use pretty much any hi-temp RTV I can find. Right now
> it's the orange stuff, just because I had a tube handy when I did the
> valves last.

I've tried Permatex Super Blue (or whatever "Blue" it was called).

> You put a tiny dab in the sharp corners where the cam bearing caps meet the
> cylinder head.
>
> If the gasket is OEM and the surface is totally, squeaky clean, with no
> grains of grit /anywhere/, the use of RTV in that location is optional and
> you can just smear a micro-thin layer of oil on the gasket before assembly,
> then wiggle and thump it into place to make sure the sharp corners settle
> into place properly.
>
> Also...and this is critical...do NOT lose those little rubber grommets on
> the nuts. They prevent leaks.

They can be replaced. I replaced a bunch of them on an '89 Integra
valve cover. The originals were hard and shriveled after about 70K
miles.

Oh - the spark plug tube gaskets sometimes need to be replaced when
removing the valve cover. About $2-3 each.