Old June 17th 05, 07:55 PM
Joey Tribiani

"ThaDriver" <imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I gave up on timing lights - especially for my bugs - a long time ago! I
> keep advancing them untill they kick back when starting, then retard them
> untill they stop. Then I drive them & put them under a load at low rpm up
> a hill & if it pings retard it untill it quits. Always winds up with more
> advance (& power) than if timed with a light.

if you are comfortable with that procedure that is fine, but i personally
would hesitate to state it so "mater-of-factly"....it is not a good practice
and i have seen pistons with holes in them due to this.....not all "pinging"
is even detectable.... when i loaned out my timing light to a fellow that
decided to make it his own, i timed my car in the above manner...it ran
great...but the two head temp guages read abit higher than i liked.....(new
engine, so no "before" data to compare)...i drove it this way for
awhile....while i did run "good" the power was "peaky"....turns out it was
around 50BTDC at full advance....not good....actually timing it with the
proper procedure made the car feel less "peppy" off the line, but overal
performance(accelleration, etc) was much better....seat of the pants is not
a good timing meathod.....