Old July 21st 05, 03:18 PM
Don Stauffer

> In order not to prolong the warranty thread, I made a broad statement the
> other day that
> Chrysler had always made good dependable engines, to my knowledge. I can't
> remember
> one that had problems with cracked blocks, premature wear, etc.
>
> The old slant six was good for a couple hundred thou, frequently. And the
> V8 have been
> legendary for their toughness.
>
> Of the Big Three American manufacturers, GM has possibly put out some of the
> worst (and best)
> engines, with Ford not far behind.
>
> Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
> credit?

I was not able to get that much milage from my old slant six, though it
was still a great, reliable engine. I had one rocker arm fail in one,
had to replace distrib. cap on the same one also.

Did have carb problems in a couple of others. Mopar made carb float out
of plastic- a plastic that would eventually absorb too much gasoline and
no longer float :-)

I have a Neon now. A great little R/T. Did have to have head gasket
replaced, though under warranty. Thing that gripes me about it,
however, is that apparently they new the gasket was defective design,
and had revision already when car was built, but didn't want to just
throw out their stock of the old ones. I can't believe what they saved
on using old gaskets was cheaper than all the warranty work they had to do.

We are on our third minivan. Had clutch problems on first, due to
defective design again, but other than that they have been super
reliable. First two were the four cyl. New one is V6- hope it is as
good as the fours.