Old June 26th 05, 07:52 PM
Steve B.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:31:29 -0500, DTJ > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 05:54:07 GMT, Ajanta > wrote:
>
>>Steve B. > wrote:
>>
>>: Replacing the water pump with the timing belt on these cars is
>>: a very good idea as you have to remove it to get to the belt anyway
>>: and when it fails in the future (not if) it can take out the brand new
>>: belt. Gates web site shows your belt needing to be changed at 90k
>>: miles.
>>
>>I think the cost benefit analysis is quite clear: If I don't change the
>>water pump and it doesn't break while I own my car, I save $100
>>approx; if it breaks, I lose at least $250 (one timing belt job, which
>>may have to be repeated anyway), and maybe more if there is other
>>serious damage.

>Where are you getting those prices? An accord costs almost $1000 to
>have the timing belt and water pump done. I would assume a Toyota is
>similar.

$250 is probably a bit low but 1k is way way over the top. $500
would be the max I would expect to see at a dealer with them replacing
all the wear items near the timing belt..

>However, I have had 3 Hondas with more than 130,000 miles, none of
>which showed any indication of failure for going past the 90,000 mile
>mark where it should have been replaced. I am almost convinced that
>timing belt replacement is, as CH says, snake oil. Besides, the quote
>to do the work before and after a failure is not that different.

The quote to do more work after a failure can be quite different. On
an interference engine the valves can hit the pistons and one of the
two is going to loose. At best you end up having the head redone and
at worst you replace the engine. If your Honda is non interference
and you don't mind being left stranded then run the sucker till it
breaks... The OP on the other hand wanted to keep her car running and
not be left stranded so she should replace the belt at 90k as
reccomended by the people who designed and built the engine.

Steve B.

Some belts do last much longer and some don't. A friend of mine just
had his break on his VW 1400 miles past the reccomended replacement
time. Cost him a new head.