Old June 14th 05, 09:26 PM
Tom Del Rosso

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > $268.90 fuel pump
> > $32.70 filter
> > $210 labor (drop the tank, etc)
> > $45 tow

> H'mm...nothing too terribly grossly out of line here, I don't suppose. I
> might quibble with $210 worth of labor, but I don't have a flat-rate book
> in front of me and I don't know your guy's labor rate, either.

$70 or $75 is the norm around New York City.

> > $78.90 Hall effect sensor:
> > $75 labor

> TILT. That is a $30 to $40 part that takes all of 10 minutes to install.
> Let's assume he's really slow and give him 30 minutes. That makes his
> labor rate about $157/hr. Bzzt.

I don't know about the part, but he will refund the $210 since it wasn't the
problem. The time (1 hour apparently) was spent road testing and searching
for an intermittent problem. There is probably a minimum 1 hour charge too.

> > Before the new pump, he said there was no fuel pressure.

> Exactly my point. There are lots of reasons why there might be no fuel
> pressure. It points to a problem with the fuel pump *or its extensive
> control circuit which includes several relays, a great deal of wire, a
> control computer and several switches and sensors* or the fuel pressure
> regulator.

The thing is, though, he measured 12 volts at the pump, and no pressure (not
sure where it was measured). Doesn't that rule out most things? I still
wonder if the pick-up or the line could be blocked.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.