Old December 15th 04, 02:08 AM
The Real Bev

Default Tucson: America's Most Courteous City

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> In the past I've related how drivers in Tucson are more "courteous"
> than drivers in other cities. They are constantly doing things like
> stopping to allow someone to pull out of a shopping center driveway in
> front of them (oblivious to the fact that they are needlessly delaying
> 50 other cars that are stuck in the ane behind them).
>
> Yesterday, some "good samaritan" in an SUV was stopped at a 4-way stop
> on the University of Arizona campus. Instead of proceeding when his
> turn came, he remained stopped and waved on not one but TWO
> pedalcyclists, one coming from the left and one from the right. BOTH
> were riding on the sidewalk, and BOTH had stop signs, but Mr. Nice Guy
> waved them on through. Meanwhile, I and several other vehicles were
> stacked up behind.

I was riding my bike as fast as I could in order to make a sharp left
turn across the 50-foot-wide median strip and continue on. There is a
20-foot difference in elevation between the lanes so the hill between is
pretty steep. If I can't get up full speed I have to shift down into my
granny to make it. This happens most frequently when cars coming from
the other direction make left turns down their side of the cross-median
road and just sit there waiting for me to pass, making me slow down and
shift in order to pass in front of them and THEN make the turn. Since I
am zipping diagonally across the three travel lanes heading to the
cross-median lanes, only the very stupid could have any doubt about my
intentions.

But yesterday a real jewel saw what was happening and immediately
finished his turn before I got there, thereby speeding both of us on our
way. I have to believe he was a bicyclist himself and understood the
problem.

Don't bother drawing a diagram, just be happy for me! Every once in a
while something happens that convinces me that the human race is not
totally doomed.

--
Cheers,
Bev