Old January 26th 05, 05:02 PM
Frank Kemper

haute in die Tasten:

> No. Especially having driven one a few times! My point is only
> that in a number of European countries, the police seem to
> diversify their fleets more broadly than in the US and Canada, an
> interesting practice to some of us on this side of the pond. Here
> such a suggestion would likely be met by incredulous stares from
> the fleet manager who likes to stock one size of tire, one weight
> of oil, etc.

I think that US Police cars are more customized to the needs of police
duty than, say, in Germany. Here they recently started leasing their
police cars instead of buying them. For that reason the exterior colour
has changed. In former times most german police cars were white with
green doors and green hoods. Now they are silver and wear green or
silver decials made out of plastic film. At the end of the lease the
police equipment is de-installed, the decials are removed, and some
lucky guy gets a beaten-to-death BMW touring with a nice colour;-)

This is how german police cars looked some years ago

http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/pol...rd-414-12.html

and this is how they look now:

http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/pol...ceklasse-digi-
030310-02.html

(Note, how they managed to install the lights/siren section into the
sunroof gap)

As a rule of thumb, german police does not use cars from foreign
manufacturers, with rare exceptions. So I have seen some Land Rover
Discovery in the colours of the Bavarian police on duty in the
Berchtesgaden County near the Alps.

http://cameltrophy.wz.cz/Images/fotky/dis12c.JPG

This seemed odd to me, because there are many Mercedes G models on duty
for various police departments and special operations groups. When the
Deutschmark was exchanged against the Euro, one could also see some
armoured money transport trucks (very impressve 8x8 vehicles, which can
run more than 100 mph). They usually were accompanied by armoured BMW
E38 or by armoured Toyota Landcruiser (all painted in police colours)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance