Old June 14th 05, 03:20 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> $268.90 fuel pump
> $32.70 filter
> $210 labor (drop the tank, etc)
> $45 tow

H'mm...nothing too terribly grossly out of line here, I don't suppose. I
might quibble with $210 worth of labor, but I don't have a flat-rate book
in front of me and I don't know your guy's labor rate, either.

> $78.90 Hall effect sensor:
> $75 labor

TILT. That is a $30 to $40 part that takes all of 10 minutes to install.
Let's assume he's really slow and give him 30 minutes. That makes his
labor rate about $157/hr. Bzzt.

> > I'm still wondering about a potentially flaky injector, but as with
> > all the other responses you've gotten, this is just conjecture. The
> > only sure way to find and fix the fault is to get the car to a
> > competent diagnostician.

> Before the new pump, he said there was no fuel pressure.

Exactly my point. There are lots of reasons why there might be no fuel
pressure. It points to a problem with the fuel pump *or its extensive
control circuit which includes several relays, a great deal of wire, a
control computer and several switches and sensors* or the fuel pressure
regulator.