Old March 1st 05, 01:40 PM
Josh D

"Daryl Herkin" > wrote in message
>I got a EX SE sedan a few weeks ago and it had bad vibrations. Dealer took
> a shot at balancing and it didn't work. Today (2nd visit), they gave me
> the wheels off a new vehicle. It drove great.
>
> I get home and I start thinking...hmmm, I have to be sure...so, I rotated
> the wheels. Damn it! I knew it was too good to be true...there is a
> slight vibration in the steering wheel. Not as bad as before, but still
> there. I have an appt at a non-Honda shop tomorrow night to do a road-
> force balance test on the set. Hopefully, they can nail the exact
> wheel(s)
> in question.
>
> Some of these wheels have so much weight on them.
>
> Salesman: "Look, you get all of this in the EX SE for a just $400 more!"
>
> Reality: The wheels are crap, costing 1/3 of those on the EX ($428 vs
> $157
> MSRP).

Find yourself a small shop that specializes in performance or racing. They
can balance the wheel on the car with greater accuracy than the off the car
type. Look for local SCCA clubs or autocross clubs, they'll be able to point
you in the right direction. I had it done on a Volvo S70 that had a
vibration at high speed that wouldn't show up in the shop. Balancing the
wheel on the car cured it.

Hope this helps.

jjd