Old February 25th 05, 05:21 PM

> I was thinking a 4.3 swap - they came factory, but doubt it would

live
> very long with his driving style.

Yeah, I considered that. Wrong transmission in it for that right now.
The 4.3's got a different trans (and I think they have a different bolt
pattern for the bell housing and block). I think the same trans for the
4.3L will fit the small block V8, So if I go to that much trouble, I
might as well do the small block V8.

> Dumb question - emissions testing where you live?

Not yet, but I don't want to do anything so wild he couldn't pass if it
comes here. There's a lot of rumbling that we might be getting some
kind of emissions testing soon. We're only one county away from the
Metro Atlanta areas with strict emissions testing, and there have been
lawsuits from the environmental groups to expand that testing to cover
the entire area around us. Not sure where that's going.

If we get that, then there's visual (cat must be present, and factory
emissions stuff has to be present and functioning). This one is old
enough that it's not OBD-II (not even OBD-I I don't think), so I don't
think there's any requirements for OBD connectors on it.

I'm still not clear on the bellhousing issue. Were any cars delivered
that used both the 2.xL pushrod 4 cylinders and the Quad 4? Is the end
of the engine going to be the same and bolt up to the transmission. I
think I can work the rest of the issues out. The main issues I'm
worried about are hooking it up the transmission and maybe bolting the
engine mounts on.

I'll be getting the engine at a "pull it yourself" type yard, so I
really don't want to get the thing off and find out it won't fit.

--
Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT
1992 Mazda Miata (looks OK considering it's been hit by an 18 wheeler)
1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy)
1995 Ford Escort (may it rest in pieces)
1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer)
1988 Mazda RX-7 (maybe for sale, make offer)
1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])