Old October 18th 04, 02:15 PM
Steve Smith

Hi Dave,

The 330P4 was avail in both open & closed top versions (the "roadster" was
simply missing a small sheet of aluminum covering the dome of the roof).
The 330P3 coupe ran in '66 (its first race was the Spa 24-hr., as I
remember), a year when Ferrari had its greatest success in sports cars with
the little 2-liter Dinos.

In the first race of '67 (Daytona 24-hr.), the mighty Ford Mk. IVs all
busted their trannies, and the new P4s were first and second (a re-engined
P3 was third). The #23 car pictured in the mod's illustration was the
winner. A P4 also won the 1000 Ks of Monza, but Ford won the Championship.

Chris Amon ran a more-or-less stock P4 in the Can-Am that year (and Pedro
Rodriguez ran one in early '68). The Ferrari "612" that showed up at Las
Vegas Can-Am (the old Stardust circuit), was essentially a rebodied P4 with
a monster 7-liter motor. It never won a race.

--Steve

. 97.136...