Old February 3rd 04, 05:13 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve wrote:

> How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
> 1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl.

According to Chilton's, the engine numbers for 1948 start with "FA" and those for
'49 start with "GA". If your's has either of these, it's probably the original
engine.

Rochester carbs used on '49 Chevys are part number 7002050, model "B". Carter carbs
used in that year are the type W-1 model 684S, type YF model 787S, and type YF
model 787SB. If the number 603 is cast on the face of the flange, it's a Carter
684S. Check your carb for model numbers.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.