Old July 18th 05, 08:18 PM
Rod Speed

Marcio > wrote
> wrote

>> I think most folks over in the auto groups would agree with
>> me that, if you religiously follow the manufacturer's stated
>> maintenance timetables, you will never have a "breakdown".

> Only people who know nothing about auto maintenance would agree with that.

Indeed.

> Any piece of machinery will eventually break
> down, regardless of how it is maintained.

That may be way outside normal use tho some of them.

> That's because any part manufactured is designed
> for a certain life time of use and will fail sooner or later.

Wrong. Some machinery isnt designed for a certain life time of use at all.

One obvious example is simple stationary diesel engines.

> And a car manufacturer's stated maintenance timetables do not
> address replacement of most parts that can fail in a car. Show
> me an auto manufacturer's stated maintenance timetables for alternators,
> ignition switches, coil packs, ECUs, fuel pumps, water pumps...

Correct. And its never going to be possible to eliminate early
failures with those components by replacement even if they did.

> Most if not all manufacturer's maintenance timetables do not
> even have a timetable for thermostat replacement--a part that
> fails quite often in most cars (but fortunately usually fails opened).

He can claim that that isnt the sort of breakdown that needs towing tho.