Old November 19th 04, 10:21 PM
exxos

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, exxos wrote:
>
>> I had a problem with one of my cars in the past with the alternator not
>> charging, what this turned out to be was the ground pin on the regulator
>> was going via a lamp on the dashboard, thus giveing a slight volt raise
>> on the ground so you got maybe 13V from the 12V regulator, though it
>> took me a long time to work out why my battery wouldn't charge, turns
>> out the bulb went on the dashboard, no ground on the regulator,
>> alternator didn't charge the battery, thus car wouldn't start....

> Fun story, but not applicable to the original poster's '91 Acclaim -- not
> even a little bit. Also, "12v" automotive voltage regulators have set
> points of between 13.8 and 15.1 volts. A regulator with a set point of 12v
> would not charge the battery.

I was suggesting that simple faults can make things look like sometime which
they are not, and yes you are correct 12V wont charge the battery, the OP
had alternator problems which im pretty sure I gave some suggestions towards
a possible cure. 12V regulators do exsist, like my old car raised to around
13V via the resistance in the dash lamp, the OP has a valuable new view
point on his problem to which I replied.

chris