Old February 2nd 05, 12:21 PM
N8N

Magnulus wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> >
> > Why should anyone slow down to accomodate you? In the situation

you
> > describe you should have slowed down (or sped up) so you could get

into
> > the left lane without affecting other traffic. People who think

that

**** me
> off.
>
> I couldn't slow down because there was a car behind me. I could

have
> also passed if the other driver hadn't started speeding up trying to
> "defend" his lane. I had no special right, but then again he had

no
> right to be driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit.
>
> It's just an example of the aggressive, stupid driving that so many

folks
> on this newsgroup advocate. "I've got mine- screw you".

Look at it from the other guy's perspective - he's just driving along
minding his own business, almost abreast of some slower car in the
right lane who suddenly puts his left turn signal on. Are you going to
slow down to let the guy in? Why *would* you? Far easier to pass and
let him tuck in behind you. As for "no right to be driving 5-10 MPH
over the speed limit" well... EVERYONE around here consistently drives
faster than that, so I don't really see your point. The speed limit is
quite simply irrelevant when it comes to safe driving, and the sooner
you realize that the better off you'll be. What really matters is the
maximum safe speed *FOR CONDITIONS* which has nothing to do with the
speed limit whatsoever in 99.44% of all cases.

Sounds like you simply didn't plan far enough ahead to be in the lane
you needed to be in, but in your defense, instead of pulling some
boneheaded move in the middle of the street you turned around in a
parking lot and doubled back. So what's the problem here? You made a
mistake, but you did the right thing afterwards, why are you
complaining to us? Sounds like just another day in the life.

nate