Old July 18th 05, 12:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Mike G > wrote:
> > You may well be able to move the wheel slightly with no apparent
> > movement of the wheels, but free play means free movement followed by
> > a definite and 'hard' change in resistance. If it's 'springy' movement
> > then that's ok, as this may be a function of the power steering
> > sensing.

> Which is why I asked the questions in my original reply. You and I know
> what play means, but Waynes post didn't explain whether the play was
> springy, or perfectly free play with no resistance. He simply said the
> wheels didn't move.

Yes. It's a fine point. But if the play is in a UJ in the steering
column, it's likely to be very easy movement between the points where firm
resistance is felt. The other common point is wear in an inner ball joint,
but since this involves moving the rack to feel may not be so obvious.
However, raising a wheel off the ground is the best way to check for this.
Play between the rack and pinion, or pinion end float are much less
common.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.