Old January 5th 05, 02:36 PM
Dedge

Default 92 explorer check engine light and poor gas mileage

Hello eveyone, I am new to this group and I really hope there is
someone out there who can help me. First off I have a 92 Ford
Explorer with a 4 litre and 4wd. It has about 179k on the motor, but
has been very well maintained, (engine and drivetrain wise, body kind
of rusty but what can you do in Michigan winters). When I first got
it, it was running beautifully, getting 21+ miles on the road and
between 15-17 in town. Now the check engine light comes on, and it
idles rough. (rpms REALLY fluctuate and sometimes when I put it in
reverse to back out of the driveway it really chokes. Even when
warm.) And even more alarming now, is the fact that it is only
getting between 6 and 8 mpg's. Not kidding, I got 65 miles on 3/4 of
a tank of gas. I talked to some people and EVERYONE said o2 sensor,
so I changed that and still nothing. The check engine light still
comes on, and it is still breaking the bank driving it to work.

And all of this happened pretty much all of a sudden.

Dan