Old May 3rd 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default TeGGeR's injector problems...

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Matt Ion > wrote in

>>>Yeah, I know. But Motorvac isn't common where I live. Crappy Tire was
>>>one of only four places, and the other three I trusted even less.

>>Stupid question then, but what's "Motorvac"? Sounds like a name for a
>>techno band.
>>

> Motorvac is an on-car injector/top end cleaning procedure. It uses a
> special machine and a powerful solvent. The brand used to be owned by Snap-
> On. I forget who owns it now.
>
> After much investigation, it looks like it's the injectors themselves
> that's causing the problem. I have to find a place that can do an "injector
> pressure-drop test", which will tell me whether the injectors are all
> firing the same or not. If one is out of sync with the others, they'll have
> to come out for bench testing.
>
> In retrospect, I guess I'm lucky. In 15 years and 266,000 miles, this is
> the very first driveability problem I've ever had with this car.

if it were my car, i'd go straight for the "remove for cleaning" phase.
ultrasonic cleaning plus solvents should do the trick. and if not,
there are aftermarket performance injectors that work well and aren't
outrageously expensive.

for the future, i'd be a lot more generous with injector cleaner. i
know gas is supposed to have a degree of detergency from the pump, but
auto manufacturers are having consistent reliability problems because
the detergency level rules were relaxed a few years ago and vehicles are
now gumming up all the time. one could go into the whole paranoia about
oilco's and the benefits of both saving ingredient costs and gummed up
injection systems causing reduced gas mileage, but that would be way off
base...