Old July 7th 05, 11:08 PM
Ruel Smith

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> or not I am getting a decent price.
>
> I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation problems,
> but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable jeep-people
> could offer your opinions on these:
>
> 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> worth over $400 to fix?

Depends on how much it leaks. It can leak onto your clutch, giving your some
slip when first used in the morning, until the oil burns off. It can also
leave nasty stains in yours, and others' driveways. However, it's nothing
major and even if you fix it, it will return. I've had my rear main seal
repaired twice, only for it to leak again. This is very common to the inline
six.

The rear main seal is exactly what it sounds like: the rear seal of the
engine on the crank. It's costly to repair because of the 4WD system. They
have to drop your skidplate, disconnect both driveshafts, pull the
transmission + transfer case out of the engine, remove the clutch, drop the
oil pan (possibly unmount the engine from the mounts and jack it up for
clearance, and replace the seal and oil pan gasket and reverse the
procedure. The parts aren't much, but the labor involved is murder.

> 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

Easily fixed on your own if you're even slightly mechanically inclined. I'm
not sure if this is referring to the seal joining both halves of the
transfer case, or the seal around the yoke. Either way, it's not difficult
to replace.

> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> $150 to have done?

Many mechanics recommend it. Basically, they hook up a bottle of some high
powered cleaner to your fuel rail, I believe, and clean out all the gunk in
there. They also clean out your throttlebody too. I've had my intake off to
repair the exhaust header, and there gets to be quite a bit of gunk in
there. I scraped it out and used carb cleaner to clean it all, including the
throttlebody, out before I put it all back together. I did noticed slighly
more power when I was done, but nothing to write home about since it has
147,000 miles on it.

You can buy some of that high powered fuel injection cleaner you put in your
tank from STP, Slick 50, etc. and get about half the cleaning that
professional job gives you. Those cans cost between $8 and $10.

http://www.slick50.com/