Old September 18th 04, 02:59 PM
Fred W.

"Richard Townsend" > wrote in message
> I went for a test drive in a 1-Series today and was quite pleasantly
> surprised. Once behind the wheel I forgot about its strange appearance and
> started to appreciate its excellent driving qualities.
>
> Anyway, the question I have is about the run-flat tyres. I understand that
> if you get a puncture you can drive for a certain number of miles on a

flat
> tyre. But afterwards, can the tyre then be repaired or must they always be
> replaced?
>
> Having had 3 punctures in the last 10 months makes me a bit wary.

Not sure I can answer your question, but I'm sure you can find your answer
bu googling "run flat technology".

Most of the bad press I have heard about these tires is they do not ride as
well as the regular ones. It is supposedly much stiffer and overall tire
performance is worse. I'd bet that you could get them changed at the
dealership should you opt to. You'd have to figure out some sort of spare
tire scheme (you probably don't get one in the 1'er since you it comes
fitted with the run flats) but you may well be happier in the long run.

Just another option to consider

-Fred W