Old July 20th 05, 08:02 PM
Ash

"Harry" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this, or perhaps I'm
> barking up the wrong tree?
>
> A couple of weeks ago I was car-jacked and my beloved M3 is now gone.
>
> A couple of 'coincidences' occurred before this happened, and I was

curious
> as to whether I'm paranoid or not.
>
> About 6 weeks ago I had a soft-top failure. Rather than take the car back

> the original dealership (75 miles away), I was reluctantly persuaded by

them
> to take it to my local dealer in Stanmore, Middx (Scotthall), as it was
> thought to be very minor.
>
> It seemed that the fault was deep within the electrical system and they

took
> about 4 days to fix it.
>
> After 2 days, the tracker company phoned me twice to tell me that there

had
> been an activation. I told them it was OK as it was in the workshop. It

was
> nice to know that it worked though.
>
> The dealer also phoned me on the 3rd morning to tell me that they had

'lost
> my key'.
> I gave them the spare, and they organised a replacement key which was

given
> to me when the car was eventually returned.
>
> The new key was not re-programmed to lock my doors once I pulled away.
>
> 2 weeks later I was car-jacked. The thief's were extremely professional,

and
> seemed to be aware that my door would be unlocked. They had no weapons to
> threaten me with, but just pulled the doors open and bundled me out. (It

was
> obvious that this wasn't their 1st time).
>
> They immediately drove off in my car and also the car they had been using

(a
> Golf gti, also stolen that day).
>
> I immediately called tracker and the police. The police helicopter was up
> within 7 or 8 minutes and was doing a tracker scan for my car (20 mile
> radius from the air). All local police units had been informed and were
> standing by on all major routes with tracker equipment (5 mile ground
> radius).
>
> The car was not detected by any unit. 2 weeks later, there is still no

sign.

> I asked tracker last week why there was no result, and they said that with
> the police response at the time, they were very surprised it was not
> recovered, They felt that the unit was probably faulty.
>
> Whilst accepting that the car is probably not in the UK any longer, I

cannot
> help but wonder if an individual at the dealership set me up by disabling
> the security locks, and then disabling the tracker system whilst the car

was
> being worked upon.
>
> I'd love to know if anyone has heard of a similar incident, and if anyone
> has any wisdom to share with me on this.
>
> BTW thanks to all of you that responded to my previous post, and to let

you
> know that I took your unanimous advice and ordered a 911S Cabriolet for
> October build. (IOW, I get to enjoy the wife's Ford Focus for another 3-4
> months.......sob)
>

> TIA
>
> Harry

Just for the record I install tracking systems for a living, mainly for
commercial fleet services rather than security. However tracker should be
able to put a trace on the last time the unit sent a Poll and GPS location
data, obviously if it shows entering the BMW workshop and nothing
thereafter, together with someone in that organisation loosing the key, id
be VERY suspicious and speak with the police.

As already mentioned, I wouldn't speak to the dealer just yet........

Ash